Meet the Minds behind the Torrey Pines South redesign
Torrey Pines South was redesigned by ReeJones Inc. in 2001. I had only played 1 round at Pines before they redesigned the golf course, but if this is any indication of what the redesign of the North Course will be like, I am very excited. Visit ReesJones Inc. Website for more pictures and information
Client Course Description
Torrey Pines. The name itself stirs the imagination of golf enthusiasts all over the world. Situated atop cliffs towering above the Pacific Ocean in San Diego, California, golfers marvel at the views of the coastline and deep ravines. Nature lovers can spot wildlife and the famous Torrey Pines trees that are indigenous to the area.
In hopes of being selected for a U.S. Open, our client asked us to completely rebuild Torrey Pines South. We relocated greens closer to the canyons, re-contoured all greens to provide multiple pin placements, repositioned bunkers for stronger players with more advanced equipment, and added over 500 yards of length. In 2002, Torrey Pines was chosen to host the 2008 U.S. Open.
- Farmers Insurance Open: Annually Since 2010
- Formerly Buick Invitational Tournament: 2002 - 2009
- LPGA Tour's Samsung World Championship: 2009
- U.S. Open: 2008, 2021
- Golfweek: Ninth in California, Best Courses You Can Play 2010
- Golf Magazine: Top 100 Courses in the U.S.
- Golf Digest: America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses
- Golf Magazine: Top 100 Courses You Can Play
- Golfweek: Third, Municipal Courses (2008-2009)